At Univercells, we are on a mission to make health equally accessible to all. We work every day to reinvent biomanufacturing processes and develop or integrate the next innovative technologies. Through the combination of process development and engineering expertise, we create synergies to deliver game-changing production capacities to achieve our mission: Biologics available and affordable to all!
Univercells SA brings together a group of four Belgian biotech affiliates working together under a common mission. Each Univercells affiliate addresses a different part of the healthcare value chain, through a distinct business model :
- Univercells Technologies (UTEC): Designs and produces cutting-edge manufacturing technologies for cell-based manufacturing, with an installed base in 70 countries.
- Exothera (UEXO): A Contract Manufacturing and Development Organization for biologicals, mainly vaccines and viral vectors, with GMP production facilities in Belgium and offering process development and optimization services.
- Unizima (UNZI): Delivers international project management of technology transfer, alongside operational support services (quality, supply chain, digital) and bioproduction training programs, as well as care centers and diagnostics surveillance centers.
- Quantoom Biosciences (UQTM): Develops open, integrated and affordable manufacturing platforms (RNA as flagship) to enable the production of vaccines & therapeutics that scale from development to mass production.
Scope of the job
We are looking for a Commercial Legal Counsel to join our central Legal team of Univercells SA, Univercells group’s parent company based in Brussels. The Group Legal team provides legal advice to both Univercells SA as parent company and the Group affiliates.
Are you passionate about business law, with a focus on international commercial transactions and contract law? Are you also familiar with IP, M&A and corporate law matters?
Are you looking for a position where you, as part of a central legal team, can advise various rapidly-growing entities in the biotech sector? Are you a technically strong and solution-oriented lawyer? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with a team of highly-motivated colleagues?
You might be the new colleague we are looking for!
This job is the perfect opportunity to contribute to our mission and be impactful.
Based in Brussels and reporting to the General Counsel you will join a collaborative team full of passionate change-makers.
Your key responsibilities within the legal team will be to:
- Provide transactional support for commercial and strategic deals as well as legal advice on the day-to-day operations of Univercells and its Group affiliates
- Analyze and advise on the legal impact of the envisaged business deal or business model (focusing on commercial legal aspects but also taking into account other matters such as IP or corporate law)
- Advise on, negotiate and draft business agreements for and with Univercells’ or Univercells Affiliates’ partners.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives and business stakeholders in a variety of legal topics (commercial transactions, partnerships, international ventures, M&A, etc.)
In addition, as a Legal Counsel within the Univercells Legal team you will also need to:
- Effectively and efficiently work together with external counsel (e.g. in the event of disputes or litigation)
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust
- Draft and solidify legal agreements and documents to safeguard and enforce Univercells’ legal rights and interests
- Support with the preparation of internal governance policies and processes and support with monitoring compliance thereof;
- Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders and forces
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization
- Conduct your work with integrity and responsibility
- Legal professional with a Master of Laws degree (preferably a Belgian degree with a Major in Economic or Company Law
- 3-5 years of experience in business law and transactions in an international law firm or as an in-house counsel in an international environment. Experience in biotech or life sciences is +.
- Expertise in negotiating and drafting complex business agreements.
- Technically strong and solution-oriented lawyer.
- Excellent in English (both verbal and in writing) + additional language is an asset.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze and synthesize situations and information, and build pragmatic solutions.