Univercells is seeking an experienced Head of hospital and plant construction to oversee, plan, and manage multiple hospital and bioproduction construction projects worldwide.
This role is to lead the department accountable for delivering all physical hospital and plant construction, renovation, restoration, and major repair programs at any facility built and managed by Univercells.
You will be the single point of contact for the portfolio of construction projects and you will review construction and mechanical plans for compliance with code standards, company standards, contract requirements, and engineering /construction principles.
You will oversee the entire construction process from feasibility studies, masterplan, conceptual design, basic design until the execution and deployment phase, and you will coordinate with the architects and the subcontractors, including contracting, reviewing, auditing, and vetting their work.
You will comply with local regulations and manage interactions with local authorities.
You will manage a team of remote local site managers, responsible for the daily management of construction projects in emerging markets.
Design of construction projects
- Define and plan the construction project: strategic plan, masterplan, facilities need assessment, feasibility studies, specific program, and concept design.
- Prepare schematic design, design development, construction documentation, and secure a building permit.
- Define and implement the bidding and procurement process of Consultants, Architects, and Contractors as per the company’s standards.
Execution of construction projects
- Oversee that construction operations adhere to the plan.
- Monitor the contractor’s progress and prepare progress reports on a weekly/monthly basis to senior management.
- Review and evaluate contractor’s variations and claims and make recommendations to senior management.
- Assist in reviewing contractor’s change order proposals. Prepare recommendations to senior management for change order approval, if warranted.
- Assist in negotiations with contractors regarding changes in contract value or project duration.
- Organize testing, validation, and final commissioning activities.
- Participate in the final inspection of the work with the client, contractor, senior management, and licensing authorities.
- Monitor the final completion of the work and organize start-up of deployment activities.
Relationship & coordination management
- Coordinate and interact with other disciplines within the client organization to ensure the successful execution of the design and construction projects.
- Coordinate and interact with architects, QA, engineers, project managers, construction managers, medical equipment planners, and others.
Planning & budget management / Follow up, monitoring and reporting
You will collaborate closely with the Project Managers to manage and report the below topics:
- Ensure projects are being delivered on budget and on schedule.
- Ensure construction timelines are synchronized with other workstreams (such as IT, HR, medical equipment, regulatory affairs, …).
- Establish the specifications/requirements for construction delivery.
- Breakdown the whole project into work packages and identify the critical path.
- Monitor the deliverables for adherence to set criteria.
- Closely monitor and report to senior management on the progress of all construction activities, including significant milestones, and any conditions, which would affect project cost, schedule quality or risk profile during the construction phase.
Quality, Compliance, EHS management
- Maintain knowledge of applicable statutory, environmental, regulatory, and administrative requirements relative to national, regional, local operations and compliance.
- Ensure implementation of practices, policies, and procedures, including standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- Must have the ability to identify facility infrastructure deficiencies/deviations and be able to evaluate the severity, corrective action required, and alternative methods to resolve or mitigate.
- Collaborate with the EHS, quality & compliance local officers.
- Implement issues & risks management systems.
- Develop recommendations and action plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks, affecting or likely to affect the successful execution of the construction phase.
- Degree in Civil Engineering / Architecture / Real Estate development or Construction Management or similar.
- PMP certification is an advantage.
- 15 years of international experience in construction with the last few years leading the management of mid to large-sized projects, ideally in the hospital or (bio)pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong healthcare electrical systems experience is a plus.
- Strong preference for experience in the delivery of hospital construction projects in emerging markets.
- Strong project leadership skills and ability to direct client, consultant, and contractor teams.
- Extensive knowledge of construction industry principles and practices/safety/compliance/quality management systems / regulatory guidelines and requirements for Healthcare Facilities.
- Good knowledge of design processes and systems.
- Good knowledge of current construction technology.
- Ability to communicate in a practical and commercial manner at all levels.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time, located in several emerging markets countries.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple cross-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to prioritize for delivering quality projects on budget and on schedule.
- Stress resistant, agile, and able to deal with uncertainties specific to start-up companies/SMEs.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- The position is based in Belgium but will require frequent travel to emerging markets, with local short to mid-term stay for the completion of assigned duties.
We offer a long-term contract, a competitive salary package, and the possibility of evolution in an international, dynamic and fast-growing company.
Is it appealing to you? Are you a powerful thinker combined with an efficient doer? Apply now!