The Investment Function is working at Univercells to create a new precedent for what it means to build mission-driven businesses in biotechnology. Our goal is to demonstrate to the world that global health is an investible asset class and sustainability means taking a comprehensive, long-term view of all the risks and ultimately drives value. We bring people, partners, capital and ideas together to build Univercells Group as a portfolio of sustainable investments, driven by the original mission, building shareholder value whilst mindful of our social, economic and environmental responsibilities. We are unafraid to continually challenge assumptions and encourage change in order to pursue sustainable growth.
The Investment Associate is responsible for supporting the Function in ensuring UNVC financing strategy supports growth ambitions, in particular that the risk-return profile of Univercells’ affiliates, and the group as a whole, are attractive to investors and the timeline and risk profile are matched to sources of funds. This includes protecting Univercells’ mission through strategic use of non-dilutive finance / aligned shareholders / blended finance.
The Investment Associate will work with the Chief Investment Officer on:
- Acting as an external thought partner with affiliate leadership to test and challenge assumptions; in particular as it relates to financial and strategic rationale of commercial decisions, and/or valuation or financing implications.
- Identify and manage strategic synergies and/or potential conflicts between affiliates; and/or between affiliate strategy and the positions of shareholders or financial markets trends.
- Supporting investment activities broadly across affiliates, including working closely with the Finance and Corporate Development team to provide analysis and decision-making support tools (e.g. financial models) for key commercial, M&A and/or capital allocation decisions. This may include financial scenario analysis and valuation impact assessment on the Group/relevant affiliates; as well as input into optimal investment structure and negotiation of investment terms, including valuation and governance rights.
- Transversal initiatives, including Group financing strategy (fundraising, financing options). This includes valuation efforts and consideration of the implications of a mission-orientation on financial strategy and fundraising – market analysis of “sustainability premium” and/or ESG focus on attractiveness of Univercells Group as an investment.
- Analyzing financial and commercial concepts with numerical understanding and an open, innovative, rational viewpoint.
- Supporting communications with shareholders and investors, including ad-hoc input into investor communications and reporting.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Postgraduate Tertiary Education – Science is a plus
- 1-2 years experience in financial industry – investment analysis; corporate finance; investment banking.
- Enthusiasm for Global Health
- Integrity and transparency
- Strong sense of observation, inventive & critical mindset, curiosity and problem-solving skills
- Proactivity, flexibility, work organizational skills
- Enthusiasm and agility to work on a variety of projects
- Capability to work in a cross-functional and multi-cultural team
- Fluent in English (written and spoken); other relevant languages is a plus
- Strong writing, modeling, Excel, and PowerPoint skills.